It’s been a long time since I updated these running lists of work on the rig, so I’m going to split short descriptions of work from this thread and link laterally.

Here are short write-ups on:

  • getting larger tires and making sure they didn’t outgrow my snow chains,
  • using hot glue to repair a piece of plastic I broke while working on the DS door panel, and using it to fix the seat-back mesh on the DS seat [note: the hot glue didn’t hold up to the summer heat], and
  • working on an electrical problem that comes with the winter rains and that I should have fixed last spring.

A couple other projects that I’ve been working on:

  • replacing the DS bumper reflector that had been cracket at Yosemite last Thanksgiving (COMPLETE),
  • investigating why the PS front window won’t roll down, and
  • figuring out what I want to do about the worn out speakers in the rig. (Answer: get refoam kits to repair them.)

Heading back to this list to remind me what needs to get done and what I’ve done on the rig.

The tasks on my list (not in any particular order):

  1. address some upholstery problems (holes and small rips) to stop them from becoming a bigger problem,
  2. looking for salvage yards that might have compatible rigs with some plastic parts I need to replace (e.g., lid to fusebox under the hood, cover for compartment on passenger side of the 3rd row seating, tie-down ‘wingnut’ piece that covers a screw in the cargo area)
  3. adding a simple aux battery to the rig; running some outlets for USB chargers
  4. mount mobile 2m/70cm radio in dash or up front; large antenna mounted on rear bumper (?)
  5. add bolts to engine cover (two are missing, two are present) - requires a bracket that’s missing
  6. single sleeping platform in rear
  7. plasti-dip grill to black
  8. repair broken speakers - need to identify those that don’t work, order replacements (mud threads; infinity)
  9. roof rack (Bowfin Cruisers?)
  10. awning
  11. armor up: 1. first, sliders (Trail Tailor?  White Knuckle?) 2. second, rear bumper (Dissent Off-Road?) 3. third, front bumper (Dissent Off-Road, too?  Addicted Off-Road?)
  12. portable compressor for airing up, or CO2 system for airing up.
  13. The torsion bars probably need a crank. My mechanic, Shady, said I could give the rig to him and he’d bring it to his alignment place. ``If you adjust the torsion, you need to be careful with alignment,’’ he said. I don’t know if I believe him. Fact check: sound advice here, and video instructions shared here and linked here.


  1. have headlights aimed, perhaps replacing the bulbs (instructions for aiming are [here][11])
  2. add gooseneck rail mount system for handheld transceiver in cockpit
  3. remove the running boards and, perhaps, replace with sliders; without running boards and sliders, it sounds like people recommend mud flaps (here’s a link to the part numbers on ih8mud: [OEM Front Mudflaps][10])
  4. removed air deflector
  5. find some folks in my local area (Ventura County) who are interested in some day trips to trails in the Los Padres Wilderness or surrounding areas. I want to meet some people and strengthen some trail driving skills so I can overland camp with confidence with my rig
  6. converting some interior lights to LEDs (Update: kit ordered from [pfran][9])
  7. working up the courage (and saving the money) for stereo upgrade - CarPlay compatibility, AUX in, BT for music; not sure if I want GPS, but it would save battery life on phone Update: used @SerialHobbyist’s approach to ‘upgrading’ the stereo. Update #2:  this ‘upgrade’ kinda sux.
  8. post-purchase shop maintenance: replaced the timing belt and transfer case looked at (someday, have from at [RPM Garage][8] in Monrovia take a look at the rig)
  9. replace shocks (current shocks look original to truck) - Kyb EXCEED-D recommended by S&M Auto
  10. obtained small fire extinguisher(s) for rig; one of the ‘cans’ that sits in my tool box in the back
  11. customize wiring to the homelink system in the top console so it only activiates as an accessory as opposed to being ‘always on’
  12. NOT BROKEN, just anemic: fix antenna mast, perhaps replacing it with a manual mast (?)
  13. added a goose-neck stand that bolts to passenger-side front seat rails and holds my cell phone or my Ham radio; have a mag-mount antenna for the ham radio that I put out when using
  14. removed air deflector and put screws into exposed holes.  NOTE:  screws quickly started to rust; need to find stainless
  15. added J-hooks to factor roof rack for kayak
  16. repaired water leak that drips onto the feet of the LC passenger (first row) when A/C is running; used 3M strip caulk (need to check the name) to replace the gasket that was failing.  Noted a bunch of gunk in the air filter space, but could only get some out.  Wife was impressed that I did this myself.
  17. Upgraded to Michelen Defender LTX M/S 275/65R18 (32 inch) tires. The rig looks good!
  18. Built a sleeping platform for the back that comes apart, allowing a table to be present in the third-row area at all times; an extension lays down over the folded down back seats. I’m sure I’ll want to fiddle with this design some.
  19. Started fixing the saggy mesh nets on the back of the front seats.